How to Adopt a Cat from MEOW Foundation
The Adoption Process
- Read our Selecting a Cat page to understand the ways that we categorize our cats (Kittens/Tweens, Fun Family Cats, Mature/Mellow Cats, Shy Buddies and Special Needs) and how we grade the levels of shyness of our shy cats.
- Then check out our "Cat-a-logue" of Adoptable Cats to see which cats are available for adoption right now.
- If one of our cats looks like a good fit for your home, complete our Adoption Application form. If you have questions about how to complete the form, contact our Adoption department.
- Once we receive your completed form, a MEOW Adoption Specialist will contact you for a phone interview. This call typically lasts up to half an hour and helps us determine if one of our cats is a good match for your family.
- If your application is approved, the Adoption Specialist will arrange a time for you to come to our adoption centre to meet cats that may be a fit for you. Our cats are available for adoption on a first come, first served basis, which means a cat will be adopted to the first well-suited adopter who meets them and decides to adopt them.
- Once you and your Adoption Specialist have agreed on a cat, taking into consideration its unique personality and needs, the Adoption Specialist will arrange a pick up time and send you a link to an online contract to sign.
- Once you have signed the online contract, you will be automatically redirected to an online payment page, as payment of the adoption fee is due in order to pickup your cat.
- Once you've brought your cat home, your MEOW Matchmaker 30-Day Trial period starts. If you have any questions or concerns during this time, your Adoption Specialist is available to help. If the cat and your home prove not to be a good fit for each other, you may return the cat during this trial period. In that case, we will refund your adoption fee, less a $50 administration fee.
- We will be in touch near the end of your 30-day trial to make sure everything is going well. Once the trial is complete and the adoption is final, we will register your cat’s microchip in your name.
Adoption fees help cover the cost of care and any medical expenses MEOW incurs prior to the adoption of a cat.
Adult Cat: $175
Kitten: (3 to 6 months old) $225
Senior, Shy & Select Cats: Name Your Fee*
(minimum $50 - see note below)
Fees are reduced for Senior Cats (age 7 years or more), Shy Cats, and other deserving cats as noted in their profiles in our Cat-a-logue. We are very appreciative of any contribution you are able to make to help cover the cost of care for homeless cats and kittens. The reserve cost is $50 although we welcome greater amounts. To help you decide if a shy cat is right for you, please check out our Shy Cat Grading System so you know what to expect.
Multi-Cat Discount: $25 **
(see note below)
A $25 multi-cat discount will be extended to returning MEOW Foundation adopters and people who are adopting more than one cat at the same time.
MEOW Foundation Adoption Policies
Applicant(s) must be at least 18 years old and have the financial means to care for a cat, which includes provision of shelter, food, litter, veterinary care, scratching post(s), toys, and alternative care when on vacation.
All MEOW cats are spayed or neutered prior to adoption.
Adopted cats are only to be allowed outdoors under proper supervision. This policy is in accordance with the City of Calgary Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
City of Calgary Bylaw
Applicants should be familiar with the City of Calgary Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw pertaining to the licensing and control of cats and other legal responsibilities of pet owners.
MEOW does not agree with unnecessary cosmetic surgery, including but not limited to declawing in an attempt to modify scratching behaviour. Learn about declawing.
MEOW strongly encourages applicants to have all existing cats in the home up-to-date on vaccinations before adopting a cat. This is for the safety of the resident cat(s).
All MEOW cats have been permanently identified with a microchip implant. Once the adoption contract has been finalized the adopter’s information is transferred to PETIDCO (formerly AVID Canada).
Cats as Gifts
In certain instances, MEOW is happy to work with you on an adoption placement as a gift. Please call 403.230.6033 and ask to speak to an Adoption Specialist to discuss your particular circumstance.
Consent of Household Members
Applicants must have the consent of all household adults, related or unrelated. Due to COVID-19, we are currently only allowing two members of the household into the Adoption Centre for showings.
Health History, Medical Conditions, Age and Insurance
All MEOW cats are checked by a veterinarian when they arrive at MEOW. MEOW Foundation will disclose to the applicant all known medical conditions, but cannot guarantee the future health (including dental health) or behaviour of the cat. Ages listed in the Cat-a-logue are our best guess and are approximate.
Each adopter is provided with a six-week trial voucher for Petsecure Pet Health Insurance which becomes valid 48 hours after the adoption placement. MEOW will provide medical coverage during the first 48 hours; thereafter, the adopter is responsible for any and all medical costs.
Adopters may be eligible for MEOW coverage for 30 days following adoption placement depending on a cat’s pre-existing conditions at the time of adoption.
MEOW kittens can go to their new homes at 10 weeks of age. We recommend researching whether adopting one or two kittens is best for your home and family situation. Alternatively, applicants can discuss this further with our Adoption Specialists. Adopters who adopt two kittens will receive a discounted adoption fee for the second kitten.
Out–of-town adoptions are available. Applicants must adhere to all of the Adoption Policies. For more information, please contact our Adoption department.
Rural and Business Placements
MEOW will not adopt cats to rural areas or acreages, businesses, warehouses, or factories where the cat is allowed outside or will be housed in barns, stables or other such out-buildings.
Returning a Cat and Refunds
- Within the MEOW Matchmaker 30-Day Trial period: MEOW will take the cat back and refund the adoption fee, less a $50 administration fee.
- After the 30-Day Trial: Returns are dependent on space at our Adoption Centre, outstanding behavioural issues or concerns and if terms and conditions of return have been met, including an administration fee. Once the MEOW Matchmaker 30 Day Trial has finished, MEOW cannot refund the adoption fee or issue a tax receipt for donation.
Ready to apply for adoption? Simply complete our online application form and we’ll be in touch to ensure you find your purr-fect match. (Please read our Adoption Process, Fees and Policies above before you submit your firm.)
After you've submitted your application, you will receive an email asking you to verify your form submission. Please click the link in the email to verify. Once verified, your application will be sent to an Adoption Specialist who will contact you within 24 hours.